Re: Europa-List: anr headsets

Subject: Re: Europa-List: anr headsets
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:42:15

Hello Jos

I have used three types of anr.  My experience is that you get what
you pay for. I used a cheapo "Pilot" set for several years. They were
OK, they worked reasonably well but they were not robust: the strain
relief on the cable was inadequate and a solder joint failed at an
"inconvenient" time; also, one of the jack plugs fractured when it
took a small knock. I also used an ebay bargain second hand Peltor
set which I believe was only marketed in the US. That was rubbish on
active noise reduction although like all Peltors it has good passive
noise reduction and is very tough. I decided to stop messing around,
and so I bought a Bose set 2 years ago. Astonishingly expensive but
the best of the three I've used. The passive nr on it is minimal but
the active nr is terrific. Fortunately, my wife never saw the invoice...

One other thought. I have some special earphones for use on a
motorbike (iPod, satnav etc). These are moulded to the shape of the
individual customer's ear so they allow almost zero ambient noise in
and therefore enable you to hear with the sound volume at quite a low
level. The supplier (Ultimate Hearing) told me they could make a set
if I wanted with the right impedence and the right jack plug to work
in an aircraft - it might make a useful experiment although it would
need an additional mike, of course.

Best wishes

Willie