RE: Europa-List: Tailplane Retention

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane Retention
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:09:06

Hi! Roger

I think the concept is an excellent one but.......(NOT BEING NEGATIVE)
a) I would prefer not to invade the existing drive plate and I don't
like sharp filed corners in "canware fabrications". I'd think that the
locator plate could be "fashioned" to engage behind the welded pin
without any filing of the drive plates.
b) I would prefer to have two such retainers on each tail plane fore and
aft of the drive plates. Both similarly "fashioned" as a) above.
c) I could imagine a temporary rigging prop tool to drop between the two
(as in (b) above) upstandings on the surface of the tail planes to
assist one man rigging to be removed prior to engaging the pip pins.
IMHO my clamps take care of the inboard problems, your concept as above
takes care of the outboard problems, this then only leaves the central
horn possibility!
But of course we mere mortals aren't yet privy to all that we are
looking to solve. To enable innovative ideas to be contributed it would
be more helpful for us to "see the horse before we start mending the
cart"!

Hopefully you have copied Ian Rickard in on this concept in time prior
to decisions being made about massive tailplane invasion.?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG