Europa-List: 180 Turns

Subject: Europa-List: 180 Turns
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:44:21
In a message dated 6/20/2007 2:58:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

Glider pilots who have practiced winch failures at such a low  height
will know that 180 degree turns are killers. Anything under 500  feet and
the only safe option is to land sraight ahead - sometimes a 90  degree
turn may be possible if the field is large  enough.

Hello Carl,

Here on this side of the pond we glider pilots are required to  demonstrate
two simulated rope breaks at each biannual flight review. In my  training days

and subsequent biannual reviews since, I've had to  demonstrate dozens of
these maneuvers. Having experienced a release failure  on take off I can tell
you

that the simulated rope break is almost like the real  thing. There is never
any warning, other than you know it will happen  twice at some point in the
review. The instructor, who sits in the  back seat out of view, just yanks the

release and you are off to the races. The  only real warning you get is if you

happen to see the release handle coming back  just before the rope goes away.

The simulated rope break is generally done at or slightly above 200'  agl
after take off. The recovery procedure is quite simple, but it takes a  clear
thinking mind, confidence in the performance of the aircraft, and  some practice

to execute the maneuver correctly. You also have to act  and act immediately.

What we are taught is to perform a "dog bone" or  "tear drop" turn.
Essentially, it's a shallow turn of about 30 degrees in  one direction using the
speed
left over from the tow. Then, a steeper, more nose  down turn of 210 degrees
in the other direction to get lined up with  the runway. You always want to
make the 210 degree turn as much into the  wind as possible. The direction of
the

turn(s) depends on the wind direction.  This maneuver is easy to do, even in
low performance trainers and  I've always had to apply large amounts of
spoiler and or a heavy slip to get  back down and stopped without overshooting
the
runway. Below 200' we  are taught to blow full spoilers and land straight ahead.

What gets people into trouble in this situation, and on the downwind to  base
and base to final turns, is the tendency to "rudder" the airplane around.
This tendency, coupled with a high nose angle, makes the turn uncoordinated,
slowing the inside wing to the point of stalling and is what  leads to
stall/spin crashes on approach. This is a major cause of both glider  accidents
and
power plane accidents on landing. I think this is very likely what  happened to

Cliff and Betty Shaw, and was probably exaggerated because they were  loaded
with baggage and possibly had an aft C of G.

With all this said, and having practiced the dog bone maneuver in  N245E, I
don't think I could do this maneuver in my Europa from less than  about 400' in

the best of conditions and safely return to the runway. Since I  fly
regularly out of 2200' surrounded by trees, I don't have a lot of  options. I
get
the
flaps up within about 10 seconds of breaking ground and  keep the nose down to

accelerate in ground effect to slightly above  the best rate of climb until
I'm over the trees, then slow to best rate of  climb to pattern altitude, then

I usually go to cruise climb. With this  method, if the engine quits at 400'
or higher I'll have 75 -80 kts to work  with. Depending on the wind, with the
extra speed I would likely return to  the runway. If the engine quits at
200'-400', with the extra speed I can  easily get over the trees and into the
next

field. Might not be a pretty  landing, but certainly better than taking an
"arboreal adventure".

I think the key here is practice, practice, practice! Every pilot,
regardless of how much air time you have accumulated, should take some  glider
lessons
if you haven't already. Get used to flying an airplane without an  engine.
Learn how to conserve energy and translate energy and  altitude to airspeed.
Better yet, go ahead and get your glider rating.  It's a whole lot of fun and
it'll make you a much better, more coordinated  and confident pilot. You'll be

much more prepared when (not if)  the engine goes quiet. It'll be a little less

of "oh shit, the engine  quit" and a little more of "oh well, I'm in a glider
again" situation.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN (TN89)