Re: Europa-List: Re: turning stall, was 180 turn

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: turning stall, was 180 turn
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:15:19

I have learned from experience that stall characteristics are very
specific to each airframe. There are only generic similarities across
the same model. Even in the ubiquitous Cessna 172, the stall
characteristics may appear to be consistent during an imminent stall,
but if you push it deeper into a stall, or an uncoordinated stall, the
characteristics are not at all similar. On an experimental
construction, I would expect these variations to be more drastic than
in production models.

As soon as I heard about this accident, I looked at the google
satellite map of Livermore airport and wondered why he was tempted to
make a 180. If the golf course had people in it that might be one
reason, but it looks like there are quite a few cow pastures slightly
left of course, and some shallow lakes (reservoirs?) further left.