Europa-List: Re: turning stall, was 180 turn

Subject: Europa-List: Re: turning stall, was 180 turn
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:47:33

William and other Europaphies,

I can't speak directly for the Europa as mine is still 10 - 12 weeks from
flying.
But my experience in the C-150, Champ & Supercub was pretty much the same.
Granted, they are not aircraft with laminar flow wing sections, but it's the
best I can do right now.  Never tried them in the Tri-Pacer, Colt or any of the
Cherokee types or the Diamonds.

1: Stall in a coordinated turn, ball centered - high wing stalls first, aircraft
rolls level in the stall as the nose drops.  Maybe a bit more than typical
altitude
loss.  Nothing evil happens.

2: Stall in a slipping condition, ball outside - high wing stall first, aircraft
rolls level in the stall as the nose drops.  For sure, a bit more than typical
altitude loss. Nothing evil happens.

3: Stall in a skidding condition, ball inside - low wing stalls first, aircraft
rolls near inverted as the nose drops.  Huge altitude loss.  Could spin if there
is sufficient altitude.  This is usually performed on the overshot base to
final turn where extra rudder is used to encourage the nose around.  If that
is the situation, you will hit the ground inverted as there is no possible
recovery.

Later this year, I'll report on what N914XL does in these situations as I will
be testing them with plenty of altitude during my 40 hours of test flying.

I hope this helps,
Bob Borger