Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:51:54

Paul, Being in the process of building a long range fuel tank at present, I
have had to look out the VLA regs for this, which will be applied by the PFA
before approval. Key requirements are: The tank needs to be able to
withstand a pressure of 24 kPa (about 3.48 lbs/sq. in) without rupture or
leakage. The tank must have an expansion space of minimum 2% of volume. The
tank must be restrained to resist inertial forces in forced landings, etc -
I have not got precise figures to hand but believe this to be to withstand
10g.
         3.48 psi may not sound a lot but a tank with a side measuring 18 by
24 ins will need to withstand1503 lbs on that side to give an idea of the
strength required, and a 110 litre tank weighing about 200 lbs full should
have a restraining system of 2000 lbs strength. I wonder whether  any system
sitting in the luggage bay can meet these requirements, as opposed to one
sitting in the passenger seat and using the passenger seat belt system as
restraint
 Regards, David Joyce G-XSDJ