RE: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks
From: Jeremy Davey <europaflyer3@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:30:41

Andrew,

I think Paul is right. There is a direct parallel in the mechanism he refers
to in the Concorde accident in Paris - there debris hit the very full tank
causing a segment of the wall to be blown out at the weakest point. It might
not have happened had the tanks not been brimmed.

With the Europa tank, what the Land Rover unscientific demonstration tells
us is that the tank can flex hugely without splitting. What any materials
scientist will tell us is that the material will have a limit to the tension
loads it can take: it is possible for a full tank taking an impact to split
in tension; that tension arises because the contents will not allow if to
flex.

Taking your can analogy: fill it with a dense foam (compressible) and throw
it against a wall, hard. It will likely not split. Fill it with liquid and
throw it similarly: it will likely split.

If the above stands scrutiny, it does tell us that brimming the tanks "just
because there is space so I might as well use it" is not always the wisest
policy if that fuel is not required.

Regards,
Jeremy