Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Tanks
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:00:47

I am not sure about that theory. It is easier to crush an empty soda
can than a full one. Air is more compressible than liquid. When a full
tank is impacted, the liquid will transfer that energy to all surfaces
with little or no compression. A partial tank on the other hand will
compress until the air inside is squeezed to match the liquid. By then
the tank might have undergone enough bending stress to break it. Again,
just a theory.