Re: Europa-List: trailer wing support profile.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: trailer wing support profile.
From: RoddyEuropa@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:14:30

keithhickling@clear.net.nz writes:

Does anyone have a wing profile forward of the  spar at the position of the
wing support on the factory trailer? On my  drawing this is 2 metres from the
root spar pin bush. If anyone has one they  could email or post to me I would
be very grateful and it would save a lot of  work trying to transcribe it from

the wing. I need it to get the trailer wing  supports made.

Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.

I have made trailer supports for the outboard part of the wing by  moulding
directly over the finished wing - so you get a snug fit. What I did was  put
the wing leading edge up, cover it in a polythene sheet, then stretched some
thick foam (a camping sleep mat) over the leading edge, and then laid up several

 layers of glassfibre over that, about 10 inches wide, and about 16 inches
back  each side from the leading edge. Once set, I removed it, trimmed it, cut

it into  two bits 5 inches wide, and this then formed a perfectly shaped insert

to go  into the trailer U shaped bracket. Then, put the wings on the trailer
with the  new inserts loosley in place, and then glassed these into place on
the trailer.  So, I ended up with a wing support that exactly matched the wing

profile. I have  used it once, about 10 miles, and the signs are that it works

far better than  the sling as supplied with the trailer.

Roddy Kesterton
europa 220