RE: Europa-List: Painting metal parts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Painting metal parts
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:47:51

You are on the right track because Alodine and zinc chromate each provide a
good basis for making coatings stick to aluminum.  Do not try painting
aluminum without pre-treatment because the naturally formed oxide on the
surface will prevent any coating from sticking.  At first the coating will
seem OK but it won't take long for the coating to lift off the substrate.

Here's a link that answers your question with a bit more detail:
http://www.ronjoseph.com/Q&A/B2001_painting_aluminum.htm

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, California