RE: Europa-List: Painting metal parts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Painting metal parts
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 20:20:53

If I may add, Alodine process is really quite simple and not as messy
as it is portrayed. The key is to have pre-mixed phosphoric etch (Metal
Prep 79), Alodine 1201 and water in separate plastic buckets with air
tight lids. When ready for the process, open the bucket, drop the
aluminum part, and close the bucket. Then use a plastic tong to
retrieve it. Usually I don't even spill a single drop, and is clean and
mess-free. If you minimize the time the bucket lids are open, you don't
even have to wear breathing apparatus. The chromic acid is nasty
smelling fume so you obviously don't want to inhale too much. I would
rate this process as significantly less messier and hazardous compared
to trimming fiberglass with a dremel.

Most of the messy problems with alodine happened when I tried to mix
the solutions for each use. I ended up with lots of spills, as well as
permament discoloration of shop floor.