Re: Europa-List: Tire change

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tire change
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 19:30:09
The jacking block is a great idea but if you are without one there is
another easy solution.

Most jacks kits (aka Halfords) and calso ars come with foldable metal
wheel chocks.

Open out the chock as you would with a car and hold the face of the
chock (which would normally face the wheel) against the underside of the
swinging arm such that the top edge of the chock sits against the two
boltheads which protrude from the underside of the arm. They are only
about 3mm in depth but it is sufficient to support the weight of the
aircraft.

The jack is then placed underneath the chock and as long as pressure is
applied it will hold the chock in place and enable the wheel to be
jacked off the deck and removed for repair.

Because the chock is made of thin guage mild steel it will seat itself
against the bolt heads and there is little chance of being displaced.
None the less it would be sensible to support the swinging arm with a
block of wood while the wheel is away being fixed.

Its not as good as the proper block (discussed in this forum) but as I
said it is a readily available solution which will get you out of a fix.

I have used it a couple of times as I have had problems with the
hydraulic brake cylinder siezing and locking up the brake.

Carl Pattinson

G-LABS