RE: Europa-List: Seat Thoughts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Seat Thoughts
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 14:04:34

Martin,

I had the same problem and solved it with a short term, very low cost,
solution, which ended up being a longterm solution:
I asked a local upholsterer to make me a large cushion out of memory foam,
about 3 inches thick.
It was really meant for my passengers, but now I use it all the time myself.
I just lay it on top of my sculpted seat, and it feels like I am sitting on
a cloud. The pressure points are compressed to nothing, so there is
virtually no loss of headroom ( I am 6'2"), and it molds itself around your
behind and under your thighs. I can sit there all day without any
discomfort.

Karl

>From: MJKTuck@cs.com
>To: europa-list@matronics.com
>Subject: Europa-List: Seat Thoughts
>Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 21:33:54 EDT
>
>Hi Folks,
>
>My own experience of my seats is that when in the seated position for an
>hour
>or so there is a definite pressure point right on my butt cheeks mainly I
>think because my foam seat isn't quite thick enough or is too soft. I end
>up
>feeling the flat floor of the glassed foam inserts covering the pushrod
>tunnel.
>
>I want to do it again as part of a refurb and think the best thing to use
>is
>to determine what shape I would need for total (wrap-around) support. Isn't
>there some way of sitting on a bag of polystyrene beads and then sucking
>all the
>air out? I believe race car drivers custom fit their seats somehow this
>way.
>Anyone know of a kit or something?
>
>Once you have the basic shape you could get a better idea of what the final
>shape ought to be. My guess is that given the posture you end up with in a
>Europa there would be a lot more foam in the lumbar area (and below) as
>well as
>under the legs.
>
>My 2c worth.
>
>Regards,
>Martin Tuck
>Europa N152MT
>Wichita, Kansas

Reserve your place in history - Email Britain!
http://www.emailbritain.co.uk/