Europa-List: Re: Fuel Hose

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Hose
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:36:41

Hi Will,

You are correct. The factory supplied fuel hose with fabric cover is not
recommended. I have had 3 instances now where the hose has cracked under
a hose clamp with resultant leak. With the fabric cover, a small leak is
difficult to find since the fuel wicks into the cover and evaporates.

I have had no problems since I replaced mine with SAE 30R7 fuel hose
designed for carburettor systems and which has mid-wall reinforcement.
This hose is available in the US at stores such as NAPA or Autozone in
1/4 in.(6.3 mm) and 5/16 in. (8 mm) sizes. I use 100LL Avgas.

Be aware that if you use auto fuel, the fuel can contain a wide range of
aromatics, additives, etc. which can affect the hose life. Therefore, it
would probably be wise to use 'fuel injection' SAE 30R9 hose which has
an elastomer liner to minimise permeation and deterioration. See
http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/brochure/TechTipsForm.pdf
for more information. As you might expect, the SAE 30R9 hose is more
expensive.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina

From: "William Daniell" <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Subject: Europa-List: FW: fuel hose
I see rather belatedly that the fabric co vered fuel hose is not recommended
for installation.  Is this so?
If so what is recommended?  What is the most durable stuff (for trigear)?  I
plan to run on AVGAS. Will