Europa-List: Re: Fuel Hose

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Hose
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:38:58
The discussion so far has left out the important caveat that while metal
fuel lines are nice for the cockpit
module, most authoritative authors recomment that FWF that flex lines be
used. This would be
doublely important for Rotax engines that try to shake themselves off
their mounts on every start and stop.

I used the hose that came with the kit and was simply told to expect to
replace it every three-five years.  So far in 3 years, one oil
hose is developing surface checking and the fuel lines look OK. As the
hoses get retired, I will not use the cheap marine fuel hose that
came with the kit, but will use TSO-C53 equivalent teflon  like Aeroquip
666 or Stratoflex 124.

I agree with Ron that John at Sacto Sky Ranch is an excellent choice for a
supplier.  He has better prices on assembled
hoses than Wicks or ACS, and is extremely knowledgeable about hoses.

NB.  I purchased John's Mechanic's toolbox software and his book on piston
engines.
The software is excellent (see web site for all it does:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/), and the engine book is simply, the best book
on technical details
of why Lycomings and Continentals are designed the way they are that I
have ever seen. I really wish, he could add
some content to the book on Rotax 4 strokes.

Ira N224XS