Europa-List: Re: Fuel Flow Instrumentation

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Flow Instrumentation
From: Paul Sistern <paul@sistern.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 02:24:48

I am very grateful for all the views expressed by Europa owners (and list
readers)
regarding the Floscan transducers, on this list and in private messages.

The only conclusion I can make so far is that Floscan make transducers
specifically
for aircraft and in general for boats, and anything else.

Floscan quote a range of specifications, but the principal and the design of the
transducer remains the same. The primary feature (for us and in the UK, the
PFA) being that it can not be blocked if the rotor jams. All of their products,
marine and aviation, claim the same accuracy, ie a repeatability between
measurements
of 1/4% at a flow rate of 16 (US)GPH. The different models, within specific
ranges, are there to accomodate the flow range (min to max flow quoted
in US GPH)

Since PFA permit aircraft do not require certified parts and the approval is
gained
by acceptance, the use of the far more expensive 200 series aviation transducer,
seems, on the face of it, to be unnecessary. And some of you have told
me that the PFA have indeed approved instalations using the marine transducer.

I'm continuing to research this, and I have approached PFA Engineering, who have
yet to respond.

Does anyone have anything further to contribute?

Regards and thanks,
Paul

Read this topic online here: