Europa-List: Balanced ailerons

Subject: Europa-List: Balanced ailerons
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:13:14

Cheers........
            I balanced the ailerons by guessing at the added weight of two
layers of colour, and when the Family Painter finished with them, they now
hang off the hinges about 20deg off the horizontal, trailing edge up. That
means to me that the finish is lighter than expected. Since both are the
same, I conclude that balanced or not, I'm "pretty close".
            My understanding (meagre as it is) of flutter leads me to
believe that balanced or not they oppose one another - so - What is the harm
in leaving them slightly lighter than the weights?
            I would be interested in some discourse on the topic. Remember
I'm a flier, not a builder, so not too many 'sigmas' or 'mu to the one point
three power'.  The fact is the finish is superb and I am loath to start
drilling into these creatures just to be mathematically perfect.
            Have at me.
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic