Re: Europa-List: Stuck with low power, what would you do?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stuck with low power, what would you do?
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:55:58

A similar thing happened to a student pilot in a Tiger Moth at
Cambridge a few years back. He had the presence of mind to crawl
round the circuit to a position he recognised from forced landing
training then kill both magnetos before pulling off a copybook
deadstick landing. It made a few experienced pilots wonder if they'd
have coped so well.

Willie harrison
G-BZNY

On 3 Nov 2006, at 18:03, <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
<rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

> Just heard a tale by a friend test flying a RV. 1st flight, go up and
> about, did a series of stalls, all OK.
>
> Wants to do a flyby, gets on downwind with perhaps 16 or 1500 RPM,
> turns
> base to final and pulls power, nothing, stuck right where he left
> it, goes
> full power, nothing. At a few hundred feet.
>
> Full flaps, slips and now half of the runway is used up, nothing
> but heavy
> forest, still too hot. At that second he knew he should have killed
> engine
> and play glider, but too late. He tried to milk altitude, and turn and
> land downwind, stalled, dropped a wing. No injuries to himself,
> slid 3 to
> 400 feet, but bird was pretty hurt.
>
> He has hours approaching 5 figures, has plenty of experience flying
> homebuilts.
>
> Put yourself in his position, it is not something I have ever
> practiced,
> but will.
>
> Ron Parigoris

_-