Europa-List: Brake tube

Subject: Europa-List: Brake tube
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:03:56
Three days ago one of the black nylon brake tubes from the finger brake
master cylinder to the parking brake valve popped off when lining up for
take-off.  I fixed it with a spare brass fitting with the white nylon
press ring inside, and taxi tested it before taking off.  Today, the
exact same thing happened during run-up, so no flight.

-  Any suggestion as to why this happended the first/the second time?
Must the tube be replaced if popping off (which I did not do but plan to
do now)?  Did I tighten it too much/too little (not possible to tighten
more than I did the last time)?  Perhaps I did not manage to push the
tube fully in over the brass tube in the fitting on the valve?

- While I am waiting for some more brass/nylon fittings from Europa, I
wonder if anyone has found a better nylon tubing/press fitting that go
onto the connectors we have? The black nylon tube looks so slippery that
it is almost a wonder that more of them have not popped off.

(yes, I know I should have replaced it all with aluminum tubing during
construction, but that is not my question!)

Best regards,
Svein
LN-SKJ