Re: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator?
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 23:47:36
Had a similar problem of spiking up to 16 volts at cruise throttle.  Replaced
the
regulator and all has been well, currently at 385 hours.  The problem occured
at about the 200 hour time.   Now I wonder about the 400 hour interval just
ahead.
Ken Carpenter  914 Mono
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Hi Folks,

I have 210 hours on my Europa now and was merrily flying along minding my own
business
when the crowbar activated. I had this problem about this time last year
and Bob Nuckols adjusted the crowbar to activate a little less sensitively
which appeared to solve the problem.

I reset the circuit breaker and all seemed well for 20 seconds or so then the
volt
meter went from a normal 14 volts to a spike of 16 volts when the crowbar
activated again.

The electrics are basically just powering the radio, transponder and electric
turn
and slip so not using much power.

I reset a couple more times but sooner or later the voltmeter will suddenly
spike
and the crowbar trips. I reset as I throttled back during descent and all was
well for the rest of the flight.

I can only assume that the regulator is the problem. Has anyone else experienced
problems with the Rotax regulator.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT
Wichita, Kansas

<DIV>Had a similar problem of spiking up to 16 volts at cruise throttle.&nbsp;
Replaced the regulator and all has been well, currently at 385 hours.&nbsp; The
problem occured at about the 200 hour time.&nbsp;&nbsp; Now I wonder about the
400 hour interval just ahead.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>Ken Carpenter&nbsp; 914 Mono</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: MJKTuck@cs.com
<BR><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
PTSIZE="10">Hi Folks,<BR><BR>I have 210 hours on my Europa now and was merrily
flying along minding my own business when the crowbar activated. I had
this problem about this time last year and Bob Nuckols adjusted the crowbar to
activate a little less sensitively which appeared to solve the problem.<BR><BR>I
reset the circuit breaker and all seemed well for 20 seconds or so then the
volt meter went from a normal 14 volts to a spike of 16 volts when the crowbar
activated again.<BR><BR>The electrics are basically just powering the radio,
transponder and electric turn and slip so not using much power.<BR><BR>I reset
a couple more times but sooner or later the voltmeter will suddenly spike and
the crowbar trips. I reset as I throttled back dur
 ing de
scent and all was well for the rest of the flight.<BR><BR>I can only assume that
the regulator is the problem. Has anyone else experienced problems with the
Rotax regulator.<BR><BR>Any recommendations?<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Martin
Tuck<BR>Europa
N152MT<BR>Wichita, Kansas</FONT> <PRE><B><FONT face="courier new,courier"
size=2 color000000?>

</B></FONT></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>