RE: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator?
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:27:34
This seems to be useful evidence that the crowbar unit is doing a good
job. Relying on spotting voltage spikes during flight and switching the
generator off manually would probably mean that a substantial number of
spikes occurred before anything was noticed. It also brings to your
attention that maybe the regulator is not far away from failure.

As not all regulators fail around 200hrs it may be that some of us are
working them nearer to their limits than others. There was a suggestion
recently that keeping the average demand below 12 amps was good for
regulator durability. I would also suggest that ensuring it receives
adequate cooling air and perhaps giving it some vibration protection
might help. Making sure the case is well earthed is another essential
requirement.

Nigel Charles