Europa-List: Cross controlling ailerons and rudder in the landing approa

Subject: Europa-List: Cross controlling ailerons and rudder in the landing approach
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:48:49

Hey Bob!
  I am shocked and saddened by Cliff and Bettys accident at Oshkosh.  This
should not
have happened to a pair who had been so helpful and friendly to others in
the flying
community.
  It seems that there is some misunderstanding how a "cross controlled"
situation can
occur.
  The classic cross controlled scenario is when the pilot overshoots the
base to final turn being
blown downwind using heavy ailerons and rudder to correct the overshoot up
to the point the plane is headed back to the runway and then the pilot uses
rapid opposite aileron to level the wings.  The downgoing aileron on the
upwind side is asked to generate a lot more lift when the airspeed is very
slow, causing the upwind wing to stall precipitating a low altitude spin.
  I was taught on the Europa to never use the bottom rudder on the turn from
base to final and just make the turn with ailerons.  If you hit the bottom
rudder, you are slowing the inside wing more than the outside wing.  It is
permissible to use the top rudder in the turn as this accelerates the inside
wing (which is what you do in a slip).  So one can cause a stall by using
bottom rudder and not be cross controlled.  I was taught that as long as you
use top rudder only (or no rudder at all) on the base to final turn, the
inside wing cannot stall first.  Once lined up on final, I then start using
the rudder to maintain directional allignment with the runway.  If I can't
make the turn just using the ailerons, I have screwed up and will do a go
around!  The whole idea is that as long as
the aircraft stays coordinated, the wing will only stall straight ahead,
still not a good thing, but
possibly recoverable where a spin entry is not.

                                                          Glenn