Europa-List: Europa Oshkosh Accident

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Oshkosh Accident
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:55:00

I have additional information on Cliff & Betty's Oshkosh accident.  First is
the NTSB's preliminay report - this can also be found on the NTSB website.

Also the NTSB has spoken with Mike and a pilot we know who was an
eyewitness.  Additionally I test flew Cliff's plane for him, knew him well
and knew what kind of pilot he was.  My hope is this information will
prevent another accident of this type.

First the NTSB Report:

NTSB Identification: CHI06FA196
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, July 23, 2006 in Oshkosh, WI
Aircraft: Shaw Europa XS, registration: N229WC
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors.
Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been
completed.

On July 23, 2006, at 0845 central dylight time, a Shaw Europa XS, N229WC,
collided with the runway following a loss of control while on final approach
to runway 27 (6,178 feet by 150 feet, dry asphalt) at the Wittman Regional
Airport (OSH), Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The private pilot and passenger were
fatally injured. The airplane was destroyed. The 14 Code of Federal
Regulations Part 91 personal flight was operating in visual meteorological
conditions without a flight plan. The flight originated from the Portage
Municipal Airport (C47), Portage, Wisconsin, at approximately 0815.

The airplane was landing at OSH for the EAA AirVenture fly-in. Witness
reported seeing the airplane "low and slow" on downwind to runway 27. One
witness, a certified flight instructor, stated the airplane remained slow as
it overshot final approach. The witnesses reported seeing the airplane stall
on final approach. The airplane impacted the runway on the displaced
threshold.

Now information about Cliff's plane.

I test flew the plane for the first time on 6/29/03 - Flight lasted about a
half hour.  I did some slow flight to get airspeed readings but did not
fully stall the airplane.  I felt that it would drop a wing - so I was very
careful to keep everything centered.  About a week later John Hurst was
flying the plane with Cliff to try to iron out an engine problem.  They
stalled the plane and it flipped inverted instantly.  We added some stall
strips and got it's behavior a bit better - but it was a always a nasty
stalling airplane.

final.  I am sure he pulled a hard turn to final while slow.  I can also
guess he was a bit cross controlled and the plane stalled. snapped inverted
and went into a spin.  I am told the plane impacted nose down and inverted.
I am also told it had spun "a couple of times".

The Europa is a great design however it does have a very powerful and
sensitive elevator (thats why is so fun).  Additionally the rudder is
powerful - but must be used correctly.  Cross controlling and accelerated
stalling any airplane is a problem, the Europa is even more so than some and
probably easier to do with the powerful controls.

Here is waht the FAA pilots flying handbook says about this:

According to the FAA publication Airplane Flying Handbook, section on
accelerated stalls and cross control stalls, ...Stalls which result from
abrupt maneuvers tend to be more rapid, or severe, than the unaccelerated
stalls, and because they occur at higher-than-normal airspeeds, they may be
unexpected by an inexperienced pilot. Failure to take immediate steps toward
recovery when an accelerated stall occurs may result in a complete loss of
flight control, notably, power-on spins... a cross control stall...is most
apt to occur during a poorly planned and executed base-to-final approach
turn...the airplane often stalls with little warning. The nose may pitch
down, the inside wing may suddenly drop and the airplane may continue to
roll to an inverted position...It is imperative that this type of stall not
occur during an actual approach to a landing since recovery may be
impossible prior to ground contact due to the low altitude...."

Bob Jacobsen