Re : Re: Europa-List: Turbo problems 914 - Help!!

Subject: Re : Re: Europa-List: Turbo problems 914 - Help!!
From: Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:50:32
> Blaster is "similar", but not the same.  I've tried WD40 with no
> results.

Hi all,
We had great success with high temperature antiseize compound on the wastegate
pivot before starting the engine, and then at the annual.
We did not experience any sticking. We check freeness of movement every time the
cowling is removed.
Some cases I know of occured to builders who failed to regularly inspect their
wastegate. Some of them installed sheet metal baffles that prevented them to
access
to the wastegate on a regular basis. In my opinion, provision should be
made to  readily check the wastegate.
I'm also told that using avgas could contribute to wastegate sticking due to
lead
buildup.
In case of problem, squirting some WD40 or similar might help freeing the
wastegate,
but are we sure that the original cause of binding would be eliminated ?
And will the residue resist the really high temperatures without producing some
additional carbon deposit ?
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France