RE: Europa-List: Removing plastic wrap

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Removing plastic wrap
From: David DeFord <davedeford@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 22:53:49

> I use plastic wrap as a release film when doing various
> layups and, of course, it sticks to the layup and not the
> piece you're molding it against.
>
> But does anyone know of anything that will easily dissolve
> the wrap from the layup? I've been sanding it off but that's
> messy and time consuming. I just need a way to make sure it
> is all removed without harming the layup.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Dan,

It may be easier to stop the plastic from sticking in the first place.  We
generally coat the film (or clear packing tape) with mold release (bought
---From Aircraft Spruce, but it looks pretty much like ordinary paste wax for
cars).  The layup comes right off after it's set.  The wax residue is easily
cleaned off with solvent, if you need to bond or paint the surface later.

Dave DeFord
N135TD (XS mono, 912S, Airmaster, 450 hours)