Europa-List: Sprag Clutch

Subject: Europa-List: Sprag Clutch
From: gtblu <gtbjbell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:02:18

Hellooo listrs,

I have a rotax 912 uls that developed a nasty vibration between 4000 to 5000
revs that turned out to be the gearbox tension springs fitted incorrectly.
That was about 25 hours ago, and now, quite suddenly  it is having great
difficulty starting. After much googling it seems as though the sprag clutch
is going out. But the interesting thing is about the only extensive and
useful references to this problem on all the net comes back to this list. So
I am wondering if you guys think that this is a particular problem with your
aero planes. My engine is in a  Slepcev Storch with about 580 hours on it,
and I am thinking that the gearbox issue may have been a precursor. Of those
that had a sprag clutch go on this list , was vibration a symptom? The
vibration is still there but not amplified by the incorrectly setup
gearbox anymore I think. In the meantime I will send it away to be fixed, so
am also wondering if there were any other issues that had to be addressed
besides the HD starter.

But mostly, thanks to the contributors who helped me track down the problem
using the archives. Sometimes the internet seems to be mans best friend!

Regards

Gtblu