Europa-List: Re: Which tyre to use on a Monowheel ?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Which tyre to use on a Monowheel ?
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:10:14

Hi Phil,

I have used a McReary Airtrac 7.00-6, 6 ply from day 1. It has served me
well for 500 hours and 700+ landings. I note that the ribs in the tire
are now fairly well worn and I will probably change it sometime in the
next 100 hours. I keep the pressure at ~18 psi. Most of my landings are
on hard runways but it works fine on grass.

You may find that the 8.00-6 is a tight fit in the wheel well.

Cheers, John

**********
Subject: Europa-List: Which tyre to use on a Monowheel ?
From: "flyingphil2" <ptiller@lolacars.com>
Hello,
I'm rebuilding a monowheel and am working on the main undercarriage.
I have 2 brand new tyres and am wondering which is the best one to use.  The
first
is a 7.00-6 Air-Trac (6 ply).  The second is a 8.00-6 Air-Hawk (6 ply) tyre.
I note that the Air Hawk is supposedly a better quality tyre than the Air-Trac
but the Air-Trac is the one that Europa supply.
So, the question is which size is best and which type?  The aircraft when
finished
will have a basic fixed pitch Warp Drive prop on and will be used for general
flying off grass and tarmac.  I would like an aircraft that copes well with
rough farm strips too.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Phil
********