Europa-List: Hot and heavy takeoff yields no thrills

Subject: Europa-List: Hot and heavy takeoff yields no thrills
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:40:04

  Just did my hottest and heaviest takeoff so far yesterday with my EA81
powered Classic Mono.
Pilot 226 lbs (ouch - where did that new 20 lbs come from since last fall?),
passenger
201 lbs, 12 gal fuel, aircraft wt 930 lbs, OAT 97F, field elev 5100 ft,
density altitude
8350 ft - Yikes!.  I added 2 lbs air pressure to the tire bringing it up to
20lbs to speed the takeoff roll.
  Raised the tail early as possible to build speed, held it on the runway a
bit longer than normal,
gingerly pulled back the stick, went up about a foot, then bounced once and
was flying.
That sure is a hard working little wing!  Climb rate with passenger down to
about 500 fpm.  Coolant temps started at 180, went to 200 then dropped to
190.   Oil temps went from 190 to 230 then dropped to 210.  Climbed up to
9000 ft to get cool and flew down the front range over Boulder, Colorado.
DA at 9000 ft was 12,500 ft!  Fun flite!

                                                Glenn