RE: Europa-List: Door Pull

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Door Pull
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:44:03

I drilled a pair of holes as close to the edge of the door as practical
to retain rigidity. These holes were for nutserts(available from
Wicks)allowing blind fixing of door pulls. These have been in use for
about 5 years without any problems. The door pulls only need to exert
enough pull to ensure the shoot bolts engage into their holes rather
than outside the door frame.

As in the early days a few aircraft managed to lose a door in flight due
to the rear shoot bolts not engaging, I decided to include microswitches
to warn if a door was not fully closed. These also work well and have on
more than one occasion brought my attention to the fact that a door was
not closed properly. This is often when an inexperienced passenger has
closed the door (a very good reason for pilots to do an independent
check). Rear door pulls minimise the risk of this but microswitches,
wiring and warning lights weigh next to nothing and give an extra layer
of safety.

Nigel Charles