Re: Europa-List: 914 Backfiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Backfiring
From: Horizonspace@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:30:59

In a message dated 3/27/2006 10:07:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
hagargs@earthlink.net writes:

I have  run the engine several times in the driveway.  This weekend I have
run it  fully cowled up to check temperatures.  Things looked good at leat for

the length of time I ran it without disturbing the neighbors too much.  I  had

several comments to the fact that "at least its not as loud as a Harley".  So
I guess I am OK as there are several of them in the neighborhood.  Had  to
re-adjust the throttle stop to find a happy medium between having the choke
circuit work upon starting and high rpm level required to keep the gearbox  from

chattering.  1700 rpm seems to be about it.

However the only  fault discernable the 5 times or so that I ran it was that
I got a   backfire of one loud pop every time I stopped the engine. This did
not happen  on the  previous  runs.  I stopped the engine per the Rotax  tech"s

suggestion of turning one mag off first  then killing the engine  finally off
the  remaining mag.  Has anyone seen this on their  914?

I have posted some photos of N40SH A143 on the builder's  log on the
builder's gallery it is  the last album with 8  photos.   It is untitled as  I
had
some problems naming  it.  Hope to be flying before it gets too hot.

Steve Hagar
A143  Mesa, AZ
Steve,

We always shut our 914 down by turning both mags off at the same  time.  The
only time we got a backfire was when we were running too  lean.  The mags are
timed differently so depending on which one you shut  down first, your engine
may not be running with the proper mixture.  Also,  the owner's manual has
this to say "Allow a cooling run of at least 1 min. as an  engine shut-off at
high temperature is especially harmful for the turbo charger.  Carburizing oil

might block the oil supply and firing in the muffler can  occur."

Tam