Re: Europa-List: Bob Borger especially

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bob Borger especially
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:52:12

Ferg,

WRT -

"MINE tightens the ell into the cylinder body exactly 180 degrees out
of whack. Can I gronch the little B******r around to the forward
position thus risking a snapped ell ( and the nearest next one in
UK)? ....or can I fashion a washer from the extra nut which came with
the ell so as to unscrew 180 degres and tighten up the nut? basically
how did you (or any other reader!) tighten up the brakeline ell so
that it points forward to accept the brakeline?"

My sympathies on the removal of the safety wire and brake caliper
assembly.  I fear that I shall have to do the same to remove the
wheel so I can get in and talcum powder the inner tube before I pump
it up to full pressure.

I just returned from examining the brake assembly on N914XL.  I was
pondering exactly how I was able to get the "L" pointed in the right
direction.  Unfortunately, I have slept several times since then and
don't have a specific recollection.

Since I believe we are working with NPT type threads (these are
tapered pipe threads), I don't think that you can back them out and
apply a washer to get it into position.  I see two choices:  1. Apply
a wrench to get the needed 180 degrees and hope it doesn't snap off
at 175 degrees (perhaps some teflon pipe thread sealant might help
here), or, 2. Back it out, apply a turn or two of teflon tape to the
threads of the "L" and see if that will allow you to come up tighter
sooner, perhaps close to the needed position.

If I am incorrect about the threads and they are not NPT, then a
washer 1/2 the thickness of the thread pitch might get you what you
want.  But, I really don't see a shoulder on the threads for that
washer to come up against.  More reason to think these may be NPT
threads.

In any case, I am open to other builders suggestions on this point.

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(85%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in with Singleton
Mod, outrigger mod in, Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing
incidence set, tie bar in, flap drive in, Mod 70 done, baggage bay
in. Completing the firewall-aft fuel system and fitting the
instrument panel.  Working in - 24 Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical,
28 Flaps, 29 Main Gear, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35
Doors, 37 Finishing.  Airmaster arrived 29 Sep 05.  Seat arrived from
Oregon Aero.  Preparing ROTAX 914 for installation.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117