Europa-List: Preparing for the first flight

Subject: Europa-List: Preparing for the first flight
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:03:57

Regarding transition training for the Europa.  This what I did.

I have a classic mono that has been flying now for almost three years.  Prior to
the first flight I worked with the local FSDO to amend my Operating Limitations
to include the following:

    During the flight testing phase, no person may be carried in this aircraft
during flight unless that
    person is a qualified certificated flight instructor.

I did this for several reasons.  First, there aren't very many Europas around my
neck of the woods and as such I wanted to perform transition training in my
Europa with a CFI.  Two, I need ten (10) hours dual in the Europa for insurance
purposes.

I worked with Bob Lindsay, a retired Navy test pilot and CFII, who is
fantastic!!!!
Can't say enough great things about him ,as well as Kim Prout ,who recommended
Bob to me.   Bob required that the aircraft first be inspected by Kim.

In the days leading up to the first flight I worked with Kim, who not only
inspected
the aircraft, but worked with me on the ground handling of the Europa.
Boy, did we have some fun taxing the plane to and fro.  With two thumbs up from
Kim, Bob agreed to perform the first flight.

Bob conducted the first flight in such an organized and professional manner you
would have thought he was test flying a military fighter.  He conducted several
test flights before checking out a local CFI in the Europa.  Due to time
constraints
Bob wasn't able to transition me into the Europa, hence the need to
get a local CFI checked out.  With my CFI current and competent in the Europa
I received my ten hours of dual, and a tail wheel endorsement to boot!  I had
contemplated getting my tail wheel endorsement in a traditional taildragger but
decided that the Europa is just too unique and therefore decided that I would
just learn in the Europa.  Although I can't speak for others.  I am sure glad
I took this approach.   I didn't have to worry if a C140 or a Citabria would
mimic the characteristics of the Europa since I was learning in the EUROPA.
Both Bob and my CFI are great instructors!  What a great feeling it was
transitioning
into the Europa from my many hours in Cessna's and other tri-cycle gear
aircraft.   Was I nervous?  You bet I was.  Was it challenging?  Yes, but
learning
a new skill always is.  Was it worth it?  Without a doubt.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914
Las Vegas, NV