Re: Europa-List: fat wires

Subject: Re: Europa-List: fat wires
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:56:43

>  I have made up my fat wires (2awg) with soldered
terminals. I have
> checked the resistance of all these and the highest
reading I get is 0.6
> ohm on a 2.5m cable. I am not sure how much this means
because my
> multimeter is not very accurate at this level.
>
> Paul Atkinson

A multimeter cannot read super low resistances, and .6 Ohm
will exhibit the symptom you have but not necessarily the
cause.  The simplest diagnostic is automotive jumper cables
to bypass your cables. They can even be #6-8 like they sell
us for cheap, and tell us something.

I would not solder a #2, even tho I have exhausted several
miles of solder wire over the years by now. If above says
cable, then its your connector(s).

It's possible too much chattering on the contactor has
degraded it, or defective. On the AeroElectric connection,
there is a clever (of course!) milliOhm tester using a
D-cell battery, wires, clips, and a voltmeter.  Problem is
with a digital multimeter, the D-cell is discharging quickly
(you have a dead short on it), and the numbers are flipping
so work quick.  An analog meter is better, but it may not
have a 1 Volt scale setting. 10V forget it.

But such test can diagnose cable and contactor.  For latter,
a separate battery closes relay; measure with the D-cell. I
can't remember a typical spec sheet; maybe 2 milliOhms. It
possible that little supplied contactor is too "Ohmy" for
the 912S problem.

The tester can do the starter too for an approximate test,
killing another D-cell, better if it will spin the motor a
little w/o engaging gear.  Or remove starter and turn gear
so we're not measuring one brush position only.  Maybe one
Ohm?  Never tried it.

Good luck!

Reg,
Fred F.