Europa-List: fat wires

Subject: Europa-List: fat wires
From: paul atkinson <paul@theatkinsons.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:14:13

Can anyone shed any light on the following.
Until recently I have been powering my stationary ship with an old car
battery. When I tried to operate the starter on my 912s for the first time
there was a sound like a machine gun from the starter contactor and that
was all. I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the battery was not
up to the job and bought myself a "proper" one. With the new one installed
I have the same problem, which pointed me to my wiring as the most likely
cause. I have made up my fat wires (2awg) with soldered terminals. I have
checked the resistance of all these and the highest reading I get is 0.6
ohm on a 2.5m cable. I am not sure how much this means because my
multimeter is not very accurate at this level.
I have tried operating the contactor with the starter disconnected and it
makes a healthy clunk each time the starter button is pressed or released.
I have also removed a plug from each cylinder to give it a fighting
chance, but so far it has not been persuaded to do the job it is paid for.
The new battery is still in a good state of charge.
Is there is any better way of checking that my wiring is up to the job, or
any other suggestions as to the cause of the problem.

Thanks

Paul Atkinson