Re: Europa-List: 914 Air baffle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Air baffle
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:39:08

Hello Ivor

"Anybody using the Rotax  engine cooling air baffle"

We have and will be installing a Rotax cooling air baffle on our 914 XS
Monowheel. I forget if it C or F but the drop in CHT is supposed to be 15
degrees. One downside is upon shut down it may hold in more heat??? I am
not sure just how much extra drag will be created, especial if I can close
up cowl flap??

We have both long and short wings. We are much in favor of providing ample
cooling for severe conditions, and have ability to warm things up/reduce
drag if desirable.

In addition to cooling air baffle, will drop water and oil radiators and
seal well, and streamline air intake a bit. May even waste some time and
try and fabricate a slick looking cooling air brow as seen on Katana
Extreme Motorglider.  Will be installing a Mocal oil thermostat, which I
hear is superior to Lockwoods offered oil thermostat. Will begin with 190
degree F. Even when closed, it allows bout 10% through flow. Will also be
installing an in-flight adjustable aft cowl flap.

Will also fool with a rich button, that will probably equate to cooler
running if needed. If less than 108% power is being produced, the solenoid
will select airbox pressure instead of impact air. I will be installing a
switch that can select impact air below 108%. I anticipate it will lower
temperatures on a fine running motor in hot conditions. Higher than airbox
pressure run to float bowl will equate to a richer mixture.

On a motor that has run out of water, low or out of oil, leaking intake
either at boot or other, leaking float bowl vent line, clogged or leaking
carb or trying to run lean for some reason, I don't mind having the rich
button at my call at all.

I have 2 EGTs, left and right. Also selectable 2 CHTs. These should give
somewhat a clue if 1 side is going south.

I am also installing a slick Split Second mixture display that is driven
by a O2 sensor. I will weld a bung on the muffler just after the turbo
flange to hold the sensor. This should give a good indication along with
other how overall things are doing.

Will be installing a DC-3 windshield washer needle valve on the panel,
that will allow me to lean mixture by leaking airbox pressure to manifold,
thus reducing floatbowl pressure compared to airbox pressure.

Ron Parigoris
N4211W