Re: Europa-List: Stainless steel Firewall

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Stainless steel Firewall
From: Peter and Chris Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:02:25

on 05/10/20 1:03 PM, Dave_Miller@avivacanada.com at
Dave_Miller@avivacanada.com wrote:

> Graham,
>
> Probably not approved by the manufacturer, but necessity being the
> mother....
> I cut the top section down the centre, riveted about a 2" wide strip of
> stainless steel on one side ( a piece with no blood on it ), and added 3
> anchor nuts on the other side. Fits together very snugly and I don't think
> its integrity has been compromised.
>
> I seem to have resolved my problem with the fuselage firewall material,
> but with regard to the Skydrive carb heat, the hole seems to be getting
> deeper. I might take some of the stainless off the workshop wall and slash
> my wrists in the near future.
> If there are any Europas in Alberta or B.C. flying and using Skydrive ( or
> flying without carb heat ), I would very much like to hear from them, or
> from others who might be able to put me in contact with them.
>
> Dave
>

> Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
> Sent by: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
> 10/20/2005 03:44 PM
> Please respond to europa-list
>

> To:     europa-list@matronics.com
> cc:
> Subject:        Europa-List: Stainless steel Firewall
>

> <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
>
> Subject: RE: Europa-List:
>

> I'm not sure if Graham Singleton still makes the moulded phenolic fire
> walls, but they really make an impossible task easy. More important it is
> possible to take the firewall off if you need to.
> I have my bloodied stainless steel bits hanging on the workshop wall.
>
> Dave C-FBZI
>
> Hello chaps,
> Graham isn't sure either :-[  I just sold my house and super shed. No
> future house in sight yet,we'll probable rent for a bit till the dust
> settles.
> I will be able to make a few in the next few weeks but then I suspect
> chaos will descend around me and my Long suffering Long EZ.
> I'll see if I can get some pix on the Club site.
> BTW Dave, can you get the top half off without removing the engine, if so
> how did you arrange it?
> Graham

Dave,
  You wanted to now, if anybody in B.C. or Alberta is flying without the
benefits of carb heat. My 912 S powered Classic has been operating for 265
hrs with a modified air-box, which operates with combustion air from a Naca
inlet in the lower cowling and can be switched to combustion air from inside
the cowling when icing occurs. It is very hot under the Classics cowling!
The interesting part is ,that I have never had to use this hot air option,
even though we have crossed the Coastal Range and the Rockies several times
and flown all the way to the Maritimes and the Yukon with never any
indication of carb ice ( read the story in the October Copa Newsletter ).The
air is routed from the Naca inlet through 3" Scat tubing into a homebuilt
distributing box on top of the airbox, then through the flat JR filter into
the airbox. Within the Scat tube I installed a 3" x 2" " Y" , which provides
cockpit ventilation air to two metal eye-ball vents in the lower centre of
the cockpit module. Works very well.
I believe that the XS cowling does not provide as much heat as the Classic ,
which in many ways is good. I still do not fully understand , why some
Europa owners have problems with carb ice. I frequently fly at the
condensation level with temperatures at the critical level with never a
murmur from the Rotax, as I am sure, other Rotax operators do as well.
These are my two-bits worth . Hope it helps.

Peter Timm
U.K. # 110
Pemberton, B.C.