FW: FW: Europa-List: FREE Pocket FMS moving map for Pocket PC, XP

Subject: FW: FW: Europa-List: FREE Pocket FMS moving map for Pocket PC, XP
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:52:07

Here's a verdict on the free GPS software that Glen mentioned yesterday
---From a friend of mine who has been using it for a little while. Hope its
of use, I'm certainly going to try it in both UK and USA.
Kind Regards

Alan

Yes, I have used this for about a year now, through several (needed)
upgrades.

Works well and the price is right - I also advise my students of it.

I use a Garmin 12 ($89) and an Ipaq 3560 (ordered by someone and
never picked up), plus a cable that I ordered from someone in Hong
Kong or Singapore for $14 delivered - local sources wanted $50+.
That's the hardest part, connecting the GPS to the PDA, actually
finding the cable at a reasonable price (try Google).

Better way is the GPS that plugs into the expansion slot on top of
the PDA - about $170, and no cables needed - keeps the cockpit
considerably less cluttered. Battery life on the combo sucks, so you
still should have a power cable for the PDA.

There are some bugs in the "your airplane" data section, and it also
doesn't seem to update the screen quickly, so it is happiest in slow
airplanes.