Re: Europa-List: 914 Waste Gate

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Waste Gate
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:52:29

Patrick

I have found and corrected my turbo problem thanks to the help from those on
this list (wiring mistake I made, oops!).

The Rotax documentation actually is quite good.  Be sure you have the
Operators Manual, Install Manual and Maintenance Manual.  There also is a
complete list of all documentation specific to each engine which includes
the above and Service Bulletins, Service Instructions and Service Letters.
They also will put you on automatic notification of new Service information
(just got one this morning).

The manuals do state how the turbo is to operate on power up but I KNEW that
something was wrong with mine since there COULD NOT be a wiring mistake!!
Finally visited another 914 owner and hooked up the monitor program and saw
how it's supposed to be at power up.  Compared that to mine and found the
problem.  Its true the Rotax documentation doesn't have screen shots of the
monitor in specific situations.  That would be useful.

BTW there is a Service Bulletin about sticking waste gates and how to clean
them (SI-914-003).  And there are instructions in the Install Manual and the
Maintenance Manual about adjusting the waste gate.  There are no specific
preflight instructions other than watching the lights and listening to the
sound of the servo motor, but if you don't have lead problems nothing more
should be required.

Jim Butcher
A little closer to first flight