RE: Europa-List: engines

Subject: RE: Europa-List: engines
From: Alexander Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:50:01

Gents,

One factor worth remembering is that water is, if I remember right, the one
substance
that has the highest capacity to take up heat energy and that first of
all that, together with the fact that it has a low viscosity makes it a perfect
coolant, second that it explains why a water cooled engine on average takes
longer to reach operating temps.
There is more mass to heat up and if the thermostat also leaves water cycling to
the radiator, you'll never get warm. The beetle's way of channelling the
lukewarm
air through the structure of the car is sure to loose a lot of calories
too....
Without knowing the Jabiru myself I do believe that just like Lycossaurae it
should
be perfectly possible to cool it just right with the right amount of attention
to detail, to achieve the highest possible efficiency attainable for the
particular engine design/aircraft combination.
That bring me to what I am curious about, numbers and numbers.
What are the data such as fuel use, performance figures and cost/time of
installation,
prop combinations for the current installations, Europa or otherwise?

Alex,
kit 529