Europa-List: engines

Subject: Europa-List: engines
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:49:48

What I found with the Jabiru is a 127 hp (advertised as 120 hp but continually
dinos out to 127 hp) air cooled but with ram air ducts, direct drive, simple
light
and modern engine with a FWF kit, and less than the cost of the Rotax. I'm
wondering why more haven't looked at this engine. Certainly they have been
around
and their safety record isn't showing a big red flag.

"Myron Haluschak"

Myron
Remember that it is not possible to optimise the performance of any air cooled
engine, the heat transfer from thick metal to air is not efficient enough.
Remember
also that the propeller on a fast aircraft must not turn any faster than
about 2000rpm or the blades start to generate more noise than thrust.
In UK the Jab has had mixed success. The four cylinder, advertised as 80hp is
just
not pwoerful enough whereas the Rotx 80hp 912 certainly is. A VP prop is highly
deireable on any aircraft with wide speed range like the Europa.

Graham