Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Antenna Problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Antenna Problems
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:10:18

> Maybe the steel mesh in the concrete has something to do with the
Anomalies,
> Guessing!!!
> Ivor Phillips

> > Also, use a MFJ-259, VSWR meter, or field strength meter
> > a when the aircraft is parked on concrete, not turf or asphalt.
> > ...but have noticed real anomalies.  Maybe black = carbon
> > and turf has water?
> >
> > Reg,
> > Fred F.

Please don't confuse the abysmally uninformed, like me!  Compared to
steel rebar in the street's pavement, the Analyzer doesn't know my
concrete driveway is reinforced with fiberglass strands.  Yup, like
flox!  My slate pool table in the basement is sufficient height above
the earth for substantial immunity, but the Analyzer's needle dancing
with antenna above it is profound.  Carbon absorbs, we can postulate,
relevant or not!

The useful thing here is that the effect is very pronounced within a
couple feet of the earth, of any surface covering.  So that on a
monowheel or taildragger, especially with antenna in the tail, it
should propped up on something nonmetal and noncarbon, when using a
test instrument, and especially antenna trimming.  Don't paint your
wood sawhorse black.

Fred F.