Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Antenna Problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa VHF Antenna Problems
From: Roger Anderson <randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:48:31

Whilst building G-BXTD I checked out the dipole installation using a
hand-held radio and the VSWR readings were good. When I came to fly the
bird, using the same radio, ground stations using the middle range of
frequencies had difficulty receiving my transmissions. I checked the aerial
with a VSWR meter again and found that the output was indeed dreadful in the
mid range. After discussions with Ferg (of this forum) I put this down to
interference from the wires running to a fin mounted strobe, which I had
fitted subsequently to my original VSWR test. I disconnected the dipole and
constructed an aerial/ground-plane within the rear fuselage, which performs
adequately, but the readings are not as good as the original ones from the
dipole.
Conclusion - the dipole is great but highly susceptible to degradation.