RE: Europa-List: Rudder side to side freeplay

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rudder side to side freeplay
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:47:17

Ron,

I don't think the amount of end play you have in the rudder pedals is
any problem per se.  I can't speak for the later models, but on the
Classic at least, lateral displacement of the rudder pedals is important
because if they are not set up correctly, the tinnermann washers that
retain the rudder cables on the drive arms, can conflict with the engine
mount.  There is only a minimal amount of clearance in this area.

You may not have been around when Ivan Shaw and Kim Prout had the rudder
jam in the fully deflected position on take-off on their way to Oshkosh
but this was the cause of their excitement on that occasion.  On the
positive side, it proved that the 912 powered Mono was still able to
climb with full rudder deflected albeit at a somewhat reduced rate I
imagine.

Regards
Kingsley