RE: Europa-List: Rotax 912S Starting Problems

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rotax 912S Starting Problems
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:40:14

Hi Richard,

   Our prop also turns noticeably faster with the HD starter, and we do
about the same with the boost pump, I just neglected to mention that
part.  Also, the ignition timing is driven by pickup coils fixed to the
engine case, around the flywheel, so there is virtually no way I am
aware of for it to get off.
   Ours used to start with the techniques you mentioned, for about the
first 50-100 hours, then got progressively worse after that.  It could
be because the engine frees up after break-in, or perhaps the
compression goes up due to lead/carbon deposits in the cylinder heads.
   It is also odd that we never got kickback until we had the slipper
clutch installed.

Regards,
Terry Seaver

Richard Holder wrote:
It cost me 1000 plus. But what a difference ! It now starts on the
button instantly every single time. When cold with no throttle and full
choke, when hot with a crack of throttle and no choke. I have no need
for the crank-and-switch-on-mags routine. I do turn the fuel pump on for
6 seconds (and then off) when the engine is cold, and for 3 seconds when
the engine is warm. if the engine is very warm because it is a hot day I
use the electric pump for 8 - 10 seconds to purge as much vapor as
possible.

So mine is completely different to yours. I get no kickback whatsoever
with mine now. The HD starter just powers past the TDC position and the
engine fires without a kickback.

I wonder whether you have an ignition timing problem. I assume that you
can detect a huge increase in the speed that the starter turns over the
engine - I would estimate it turns almost twice as quick. And did you
have to hack off a piece of the back cover plate ? I ask to be sure that
you definitely have the HD starter :-)

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)