Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S Starting Problems

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912S Starting Problems
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:48:19

Terry Seaver (terrys) wrote:

> The next day we called Lockwood again, and was given
> advice on starting without kickback.  This weekend we
> flew the plane four times with both cold and hot starts
>  using the recommended technique, and all were good
> starts (no kickback).  We FINALLY have a usable plane
> again. THANKS Lockwood Aviation.
>
> So, for anyone with a 912S that has no slipper clutch,
> get one if you have starting problems.  Hell, even if
> you don't have starting problems (yet), get it anyway,
> you also get a smoother idle out of the deal.
>
> regards, Terry Seaver A135 / N135TD
>
> BTW: The recommended technique that got rid of the
> dreaded kickback; cold start- 1) crack the throttle
> about 3/16" 2) start cranking the engine with ignition
> enabled and choke off (in) 3) after starter gets up to
> speed, pull the choke out.
>
> warm start- 1) crack the throttle about 3/16" 2)
> disable ignition 3) start cranking the engine 4) when
> starter is up to speed, enable ignition.

Interesting. After 50 hours my 912S with Airmaster and
slipper clutch was not starting well. It would churn and
churn and sometimes kick back. However it always started
eventually (maybe after 10 minutes of effort).

Then at 100 hours and the second winter it got worse and
eventually wouldn't start at all. The starter just whirred
and the prop didn't go round at all.

So it was onto the trailer to get someone recommended
(Adrian Lloyd at Shobdon - 4 1/2 hours away) to do it.

He changed the sprag clutch in-situ (I have a classic with
XS firewall forward) and changed to the HD starter motor.
It cost me 1000 plus. But what a difference ! It now
starts on the button instantly every single time. When
cold with no throttle and full choke, when hot with a
crack of throttle and no choke. I have no need for the
crank-and-switch-on-mags routine. I do turn the fuel pump
on for 6 seconds (and then off) when the engine is cold,
and for 3 seconds when the engine is warm. if the engine
is very warm because it is a hot day I use the electric
pump for 8 - 10 seconds to purge as much vapor as possible.

So mine is completely different to yours. I get no
kickback whatsoever with mine now. The HD starter just
powers past the TDC position and the engine fires without
a kickback.

I wonder whether you have an ignition timing problem. I
assume that you can detect a huge increase in the speed
that the starter turns over the engine - I would estimate
it turns almost twice as quick. And did you have to hack
off a piece of the back cover plate ? I ask to be sure
that you definitely have the HD starter :-)

I have recently received a Lockwood catalog. The prices
are just amazing compared with Rotax prices here in
England. I notice it specifically says that the 912S is
supplied now with the HD starter. The last time I asked it
was an extra here.

I felt that if the 912S is now supplied with an HD starter
Rotax was admitting that the engine NEEDED an HD starter
and so were liable for problems caused by the original
design with a standard starter. I felt that at the very
least the HD starter should have been provided at a
sensible rate, and really Rotax were liable for the cost
of my sprag clutch as it was their error in not using the
HD starter from the word go.

Needless to say when asked Rotax Austria put me straight
back to Rotax UK and there was no-way they were going to
do ANYTHING :-(

I felt completely ripped off by the Rotax system. However
I am so grateful that the problem is fixed that I have
just put it down to experience, but I am telling everyone
to get the HD starter !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                    email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)