Re: Europa-List: TAS Calculations

Subject: Re: Europa-List: TAS Calculations
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:05:50

>OAT 16 c
>10,000' @ 29.92
>
>North    GPS    129 knots
>South   GPS    175 knots
>East     GPS    167 knots
>West    GPS    140 knots
>

>I plugged these numbers into the 4 Axis IAS spread sheet that I got from the
>Europa
club and it tells me that the TAS is 178 knots with a density altitude of
12,310', but..... this is where I get confused.  None of my ground speeds are
178 knots, so am I misunderstanding something here, or are the calculations
in the spread sheet incorrect.

Paul and all,

It just occured to me that your spreadsheet IS right !
It's just mph, NOT knots.
177 mph is just 154 knots, quite consistent with the numbers you gave
us. The average wind was 26 kt/330. By the way don't expect your
figures to be exact within 0.5 or 1 knots. Plus or minus 2 knots is a
more reasonable estimate.

Regards,

Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France