Re: Europa-List: Noise Statement wanted

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Noise Statement wanted
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:04:32

I have the following measured data:

Europa 912S, Rotax exhaust (similar to the XS exhaust, but not nearly as
quiet as the Classic exhaust),Warp Drive wide chord fixed pitch prop set to
20.5 degrees at 64" diameter.
71.5 dBA maximum measured at ground level during a 500' full power overhead
pass. Average of two runs.
Background noise levels at the time were 45 dBA.

A slightly better result may have been obtained by placing the monitoring
point in the middle of a field, rather than at the intersection of two hard
runways, which could have resulted in a small component of reflected noise.

But, whilst a good quality meter was used, its recalibration date was
overdue. And different authorities require different standards of
measurement; I think ours actually require the average of three or more
runs, not two.

This may be of some use to you. Or not!

Duncan McF.