RE: Europa-List: Oil and Head temps

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Oil and Head temps
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:36:02

Hi Dean,

We have an XS with 912S, so our experience will not be apples-to-apples,
but:

1) On a 100 degF day at about 7,500 foot density altitude (which means
poorer cooling than at sea level), we got about 240 deg F oil temp on
climb out.  After we made our cowl mods, this same condition resulted in
220 deg F oil temp.  See those 'engine compartment cooling' mods at;
http://terryseaver.home.comcast.net/N135TD_mods.htm

2) Be aware that the standard Rotax oil temp sender location is at the
coolest part of the oil system, right after the oil cooler.  We added a
thermocouple at the inlet to the oil tank, and measured temps 50 deg F
higher in climb and 40 deg F higher in cruise, when compared to the
'standard' oil temp.

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD