Re: Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure
From: D Wysong <hdwysong@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:03:05

Hello David -

I posted your issue on the Aeroelectric list to see what they'd say
about it.  The Rotax 914 regulator/rectifier has been discussed over
there before, although I have yet to see much in the way of failure
modes.  The only recommendations I've seen are "keep it cool" and
"don't load it over 12 Amps."  Anyhow, here are Bob Nuckolls'
comments:

"The charging system could become intermittent either because
  of some condition inside the regulator/rectifier -OR- wiring
  external to the regulator that carries output power or control
  signals to the regulator.

  Sounds like it's consistent enough to instrument and go catch
  the problem during a test flight. I'd look at AC voltage into
  the regulator, DC voltage out of the regulator, control voltage(s)
  to the regulator and bus voltage in addition to what appears
  to be the battery ammeter.

  Observations taken on these readings during a 'brown out' will
  be important clues as to how one would proceed.

  Bob . . ."

As a potential 914 user and someone that has been looking for a
suitable replacement for the Ducati regulator/rectifier I'd certainly
be interested in your findings.

Happy hunting!

D Wysong