Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure

Subject: Europa-List: Voltage Regulator Failure
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:56:29

Just back from a great Europa Baltics trip, splendidly organised by Bob
Harrison & Ivor Phillips, and accompanied by challenging weather, and a
problem of intermittent charge, developing on the last leg home. The ammeter
would show a discharge related to however many items I had switched on, for
anything up to 40 mins and then have a spell of rapid recharging, gradually
coming back to zero, suggesting a fully recharged battery. Incidentally the
40 min bit coincided with the Channel crossing , which with a 914 made us
sit up and take notice!
         I remember reading accounts of failing regulators previously but
paid less attention than I should have done!  Is this intermittent failure
to charge the sort of symptom to be expected?
         Happy landings, David Joyce, G-XSDJ